This is a back-up blog for my main blog CLOSED CASES & NEW LEADS. I'm using this blog only when I need some extra space for my posts, and it all operates via Closed Cases & New Leads. Please don't bother following this blog.
-Sanna

21 April 2012

Memphis, Tennessee

20.3.

"Memphis, Tennessee. Too tired now, writing more tomorrow, BUT Jack Daniel's Factory, weird town Lynchburg, Memphis is great and I LOVE TENNESSEE! Everything is just great!"

On our way from Nashville to Memphis, we stopped to this tiny town called Lynchburg. Lynchburg is famous for just one thing, and it's Jack Daniel's and his whiskey. We visited the original Jack Daniel's distillery, and it was actually surprisingly interesting. Personally, my previous experiences on Mr. Daniel and his whiskey were limited to that one night we shared a whole bottle of JD with Silje and learnt it's basically Truth Serum - we couldn't help it but told each other EVERYTHING and WHATEVER came to mind! xD (no worries, we're still best friends) Erm, anyway, back to Lynchburg...

Lynchburg, Tennessee - main (and only) street.
The funny thing about Lynchburg is that like 89% of the people who live there, work at the Jack Daniel's distillery. Therefore, there's a law that selling/buying/drinking alcohol is ILLEGAL in this little town - so that all the workers of Jack Daniel's wouldn't end up alcoholic! ...some of us also learnt that they don't sell cigarettes in Lynchburg. So, visiting Lynchburg for a few hours was great, but I think living there would be pretty annoying in a long run, don't you think?

Mr. Daniel himself
Oh by the way, did you know that Jack Daniel was not Jack Daniel's real name? His name was actually Jasper Newton Daniel. And I also learnt he was a man with temper, and that got him killed in the end, and not in a cool way: Jack Daniel loved his job, and always arrived at the distillery early, before anyone else. One morning he came to his office, tried to open his safe, but suddenly couldn't remember the combination. He tried a few times, couldn't get the safe open, lost his temper and kicked the safe -- he hurt his toe, it got infected, and Mr. Daniel died from blood poisoning because he was too short tempered to wait for his secretary who would have remembered the combinion for the safe! Pretty funny...

Jack Daniel's motto, and it's a good one, I think.

In the evening we arrived in Memphis pretty late, got ourselves some awesome BBQ food and I was more than ready to hit the hay.

Nice mug collection in a bar :)

21.3.


"Haha, slept around the clock, now it's noon but it's okay, this is my day off... I just want to go walking around, do some shopping & see Mississippi. Taking it easy... I think I'll head out now, it would be great to find a RadioShack. And BTW, I'd really like to get a new tattoo in New Orleans! Okay, I'm off now, yay, a little retail therapy now!"


"WOW. May America and its miles long streets be damned. LOL I walked SO long for the RadioShack but of course it's okay now that it's done. But as a bonus I got a really nice chat with the guy who called a taxi for me in the end. And confidence, since I walked through some pretty shady neighborhoods to that RadioShack. Trying to go to bed early tonight, damn being on the road it tiring. Tomorrow we'll leave for New Orleans at 8AM. Memphis was OK, but Nashville is still my favorite. Maybe it's true what they said, that Memphis is a little shady. "

they were selling takeaway beer! :D

 Yup, in Memphis I learn't that checking "ohh, the place I want to go is on this same street, great, I'll be there in 5" does NOT work in America. Maybe a cliché but I realized that America really is a country build for people on four wheels, not on two feet. Well, after an hour long walk from street number 23 to street number 687, I found my RadioShack and as a nice little bonus a shopping mall. Bought some clothes and a cute pair of ballerinas (Author's Note: which sadly never fully recovered of a rainy night in New Orleans, and fell apart in Los Angeles).


"Pork with an attitude!"

1 comment:

Helennn Louise said...

Streets in America can have several zip codes because of how long they are... Shame you learnt the hard way, ha!

And imagine living where Jack Daniels is made and it being a teetotal town. How ironic! Ha. Excellent.